Designation: Senior Consulting Geotechnical Engineer
Tertiary qualifications: B.Sc (Hon), M.Sc, CoM SC, CoM REC, CoM Adv. REC, GDE (Rock Engineering), MBA
Number of years' experience: 26 Years
Professional affiliations: MSANIRE, MSAIMM, Pr.Sci.Nat
Gerrit joined the mining industry in 1996 as a mine seismologist in the gold and uranium division of Anglo American. He was seconded to ISS International Ltd in the position of mine seismologist between 1997 and 2006 in various operations in commodities of gold, platinum, coal and diamonds. In 2007, Gerrit, joined Anglogold Ashanti in the rock engineering department. After qualifying as a rock engineer he was seconded to the projects division of Anglogold Ashanti and participated in projects aimed at optimization of design of previously abandoned mine areas that were prepared for re-mining. His work focussed on quantifying risk through numerical modelling.
In 2010, Gerrit joined OHMS, to head a start-up of a new business unit that focussed on geotechnical consultancy and numerical modelling. The purpose of the unit is to provide a specialized numerical simulation and geotechnical consultancy service to the other business units within OHMS as well as to clients. Since 2021, Gerrit focusses on new business development, consultancy work, and technical support for Map3D.Gerrit's projects typically included the following:
- Remnant design in deep gold mines.
- Fault slip on geological hazardous structures
- Probability of failure and Monte-Carlo simulations of open pit and underground designs
- Waste dump design
- Open pit design
- Geotechnical input in aerial rope way design
- Pillar designs (shaft pillar, board and pillar, regional pillars)
- Training in processing software and geotechnical design software to the industry
- Feasibility studies on various levels